The First Superior Appointed

The First Superior Appointed

Announcement Date: August 20, 1928

The first Superior appointed as Director of St. Charles was Brother Florentius, a native Milwaukeean who, having previously served as assistant superior general of the Congregation of Holy Cross and as superior of the House of Studies at Notre Dame, acted as Director of St. Charles from 1928-1931. Members of the Holy Cross Order continued to serve in the Director capacity until December 1969 when Raymond C. Lauer was appointed Executive Director of St. Charles. During that period, St. Charles was led by:

Brother Vernard Gorman, C.S.C. (1931-1941)
Brother Lawrence Miller, C.S.C. (1941-1943)
Brother Joseph Berg, C.S.C. (1958-1969)